Who are you?
- I'm a cisgender gay man living in Chicago with my Latinx boyfriend and our amazing puppy. I went to art school but moved away from that space for a career growing businesses in other sectors. I am thankful to be working with my hands and senses on a daily basis again.
Where are the candles made?
- Our candles are all made by hand in our studio on Ravenswood Avenue in Chicago's Lakeview neighborhood. The space is super cute and we are hoping to have tours once we all get past the pandemic.
What wax do you use?
- We use a combination of USA grown Soy and USA Beeswax in our candles. We prefer natural waxes as opposed to paraffin (oil) waxes that most large candle producers use. We think you get a better, cleaner product for your home and we'd much rather support farmers and beekeepers than the big oil conglomerates.
How do you get those amazing fragrances?
- Great question and Thank you! We use a combination of fragrance oils and essential oils in our candles. It takes a lot of time to develop a scent but we love the journey. Our fragrance oils and essential oils are all phthalate free - which is a chemical scientists have linked to some pretty intense side effects including changes in hormonal levels, lower sperm count, and several others. We suggest only buying candles that are Phthalate free, like ours!
What are your wicks made out of?
- Our wick is a flat braided cotton wick with paper threads woven into the cotton. The reinforced construction of the wick is designed to ensure a consistent burn with higher fragrance loads, especially with softer, more viscous natural waxes.
- Some candle manufactures use metal core wicks - we suggest avoiding those as you will ultimately melt the metal into the air and who needs that in their home?
Tell us about the glass vessle?
- Our glass not only looks great and is sturdy, but it's made in the USA! Once the wax is all spent (down to about a half inch) you can use a double boiler method to melt and dispose of the remaining wax (never in a sink or drain) and then clean and reuse the vessel. They are also recyclable. YAY!
Where do my donations go?
- We used startup capital to give more than $20,000 to GLAAD, TRANS Chicago, Lambda Legal, GLSEN and the Trevor Project.
- For August and September of 2020 we are donating 10% of all proceeds to the amazing work of Equality Illinois. We are starting discussions on what organization to support in Q4 2020. We will involve our customers in this decision making process.
Can Pride Candle company donate to your organization?
- We sure hope to!
- As a queer owned and led company we focus on 501c3 registered nonprofit organizations that support LGBTQ+ causes and causes for our Allies.
- If you have an organization you'd like us to consider, please email us at email@example.com.