Where are Pride Candles made?
- Our candles are all made by hand in our studio on Ravenswood Avenue in Chicago’s Lakeview neighborhood.
What kind of wax do you use?
- We use USA grown Soy wax in our candles. We prefer natural waxes as opposed to paraffin (oil) waxes that most large candle producers use. You get a better, cleaner product for your home and we’d much rather support farmers than the big oil conglomerates.
How do you get those amazing fragrances?
- We use a combination of fragrance oils and essential oils in our candles. It takes a lot of time to develop a scent but we love the journey. Our fragrance oils and essential oils are all phthalate free—which is a chemical scientists have linked to some pretty intense side effects including changes in hormonal levels and lower sperm count. We suggest only buying candles that are Phthalate free, like ours.
What are your wicks made out of?
- Our wick is a flat braided cotton wick with paper threads woven into the cotton. The reinforced construction of the wick is designed to ensure a consistent burn with higher fragrance loads, especially with softer, more viscous natural waxes. Some candle manufacturers use metal core wicks—we suggest avoiding those as you will ultimately melt the metal into the air and who needs that in their home?
Tell us about the glass vessel?
- Our glass not only looks great and is sturdy, but it’s made in the USA! Once the wax is all spent (down to about a half inch) you can use a double boiler method to melt and dispose of the remaining wax (never in a sink or drain) and then clean and reuse the vessel. They are also fully recyclable.
Where do my donations go?
- We support a different organization or project every quarter. So far, we’ve given more than $100,000 to TRANS Chicago, Lambda Legal, Equality Illinois, the Art + Pep documentary, Our House of Portland, and Athlete Ally.
Can Pride Candle Company donate to my organization?
- We would love to! As a queer owned and led company we focus on 501c3 registered nonprofit organizations that support LGBTQ+ causes and causes for our Allies. If you have an organization you’d like us to consider, please email us at email@example.com.